Believe it or not these are delicious and filling. I love meatless Mondays!
Fried Chickpea and Arugula Pita Sandwiches with Lime Tzatziki
1 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cucumber (about 8 ounces), peeled, seeded, and shredded
6 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas, halved
2 (15-ounce) cans organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 cups loosely packed arugula
12 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine yogurt, mint, lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, garlic, and cucumber in a small bowl.
3. Wrap pitas in foil; bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until warm.
4. Place chickpeas in a single layer on paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; pat dry. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chickpeas to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy, stirring frequently. Remove chickpeas from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, chickpeas, cumin, paprika, and red pepper in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
5. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add arugula; toss gently to coat. Add chickpea mixture; toss to coat.
6. Fill each pita half with about 2/3 cup chickpea mixture, 1 tomato slice, and 2 tablespoons sauce. Serve immediately.
Joanne Weir, Originally posted in Cooking Light MAY 2013