How are you doing with meatless Mondays?
Quinoa Salad with Vegetables and Tomatillo Vinaigrette
Quinoa, a high-protein grain, combines with crisp, colorful vegetables and tart vinaigrette for a delicious main-dish salad. Creamy queso anejo balances the tartness of the dressing. Queso blanco or ricotta salata are good substitutes.
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion (about 1/2 medium) $
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil $
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound tomatillos (about 4 medium), husked and quartered
- 1/2 serrano chile, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled English cucumber $
- 4 large radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced $
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) queso anejo, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place first 10 ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place 3 cups water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle with tomatillo mixture; stir well to combine. Cool.
- Add cucumber, radish, and red bell pepper to cooled quinoa mixture; toss gently to combine. Divide salad among each of 6 plates; top evenly with cheese and parsley.
Originally posted by Paula Disbrowe, Hart and Hind Fitness Ranch, Rio Frio, Texas, Cooking Light